Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Guy proposes to girl in 28 countries... (wait, wait, it gets better!)



So,

I came across this video (while I was supposed to be working).  Given the theme,  I deemed it blogworthy to this site (theexpatgirl).

So, this guy Jack likes a girl (who I guess remains nameless).  On their FIRST DATE he decides that he wants to marry her.  So he devises a plan which takes 4 years in the making--the ultimate proposal video, spanning 28 countries and I'm sure thousands of dollars in airline tickets.




'It's so sweet and thoughtful,' you say. ' What a nice guy,' you think.  Maybe this video invokes the jaded cat lady in me but I have a few problems with Jacks's strategies:


  1. Firstly, he decides ON THE FIRST DATE he's going to marry this girl!  What if she's just not that into him.  What if she just wanted the free coffee or company for a walk.  Just reading this sentence makes me want more space (from everyone).
  2. It sounds quite thoughtful, but he has the oddest timing.  Think about it.  Jack is on vacation with his homies, sitting on a balcony while all of his friends are probably in the background drinking beers.  He on the other hand has his Nikon out, lip syncing a pseudo-obscure 90's tune.  Maybe it's just me, but I say +100 for everyone else in the room.  -5, Jack.
  3. Above actions happen 27 other times for four years.  I am not sure I want to plan any trips with Jack.
  4. So, apparently these crazy kids stood the test of time.  Their relationship lasts the duration of their University experience.  They've made it to graduation day, which is probably one of the busiest, stressful, insane days of their lives.  Wait...Jack has decided not only will he compound Nameless Girl's anxiety levels by showing a slideshow of their relationship to people who were probably were quite content watching the other two PowerPoint presentations on their successes with academia, but he's also included the WORST pop quiz EVER as its conclusion.  Of course, there is only one way to answer this correctly.  Otherwise, epic failure and public humiliation will be endured by both parties.
Granted, I sound like such a pessimist.  This is not the case at all.  I love love.  Romantic gestures are greatly appreciate (in limited, feasible quantities of course).  However, I'm a staunch advocate for evaluating and assessing the timing and location of your activities.  I think, in theory (like in film or a Stephanie Meyer novel) this could have been a well executed and greatly appreciated plan.  In real life, I am having doubts.

If there are any guys travelling throughout Europe (or New Zealand, or Southeast Asia) and want to make a video for ME (because I am ever so inspirational), I prefer a nicely choreographed number to the songs of Mr. Timberlake.

Thanks in advance!

--TheExpatGirl 

No comments:

Post a Comment